Saints in the Shadows
Nicknames: Cut and Pasted, Dye Job, Fashion Victim, Frankenstein, Freak, Gene Junkie, Monkey Boy, Moreau, Transgenic
At some point, you underwent radical gene therapy. Whether it was for fashion reasons or military ones, you now carry select traces of animal DNA. You might have fur, scales, or even gills. Hybridizing isn’t 100% guaranteed, however, and in some cases, a hybrid hack instills too much of the donor’s instincts into the host. Think about that the next time you get an overwhelming urge to chase your tail.
All hybrids, their genes spliced with animal DNA, exhibit the abilities (and occasionally looks and demeanor) of the creatures they have been crossed with. Rather than providing a hundred different animal templates, hybrids can instead generally be broken down into about five different categories, with the actual animal type (a tiger, or a bear, etc.) simply trappings. Nothing is preventing you from creating new hybrid templates, but be sure to work with your GM to create one that is balanced and fits the game. Often times a minor modification to these existing templates is all you need.
Example Animals: Dolphin, Shark, Crocodile
• Aquatic: Aquatic hybrids cannot drown, start with a d6 in Swimming, and can move at their full Pace underwater.
• Dehydration: An aquatic hybrid must immerse himself in water one hour out of every 24 or become automatically Fatigued each day until he is Incapacitated; the day after that, he perishes.
• Low Light Vision: Aquatic hybrids ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting, allowing them to see in all but pitch black conditions.
• Natural Weapon: Aquatic hybrids are never considered unarmed and do Str+d6 damage when making an unarmed attack.
Example Animals: Honey Badger, Tiger, Wolf
• Irascible: Fierce hybrids suffer −2 in Tests of Will to resist Taunt. On a critical failure, the hybrid attacks the taunting person.
• Keen Sense: +2 to Notice rolls with one sense of the player’s choice.
• Muscular: Fierce hybrids start with a d6 in Strength.
• Natural Weapon: Fierce hybrids are never considered unarmed and do Str +d6 damage when making an unarmed attack.
Example Animals: Fox, Hawk, Mongoose, Monkey, Snake
• Agile: Quick hybrids start with a d6 in Agility.
• Fast: Quick hybrids start with a base Pace of 10”.
• Frail: Quick hybrids tend to have a frail frame and have −1 Toughness.
Example Animals: Rhino, Bull, Bear, Warthog
• Big: Tough hybrids are larger than humans, and have +1 Toughness.
• Slow: Tough hybrids must spend 2 points to increase the Agility attribute by 1 step during character generation.
• Solid: Tough hybrids start with a d6 in Vigor.
Example Animals: Bat, Rat, House Cat
• Animal Reflexes: Stealth hybrids start with a d6 in Stealth and Climbing.
• Keen Sense: Stealth hybrids have +2 to Notice rolls with one sense of the player’s choice.
• Low Light Vision: Stealth hybrids ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting, allowing them to see in all but pitch black conditions.
• Frail: Stealth hybrids tend to have a frail frame and have −1 Toughness.